Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Backupsets & TCopy

OK, I am going to throw a question out into the TSM world and see what you people think. I was asked at work if a Backupset could be copied using the UNIX tcopy command? I thought about it and since Backupsets are independent of the TSM server I would think, in theory, it should. The only issue I could see would be needing to define the copy to TSM, since it would have no record of it. The benefit would be that I would not need to mount the tapes all over again to run the Backupset. The reason I ask is that a customer wanted two copies of a full backup of a server to archive forever. Anyone ever tried it, any theories? They are all welcome!

2 comments:

  1. Haven't tried it, but it does sound logical.

    Does the server even need to know about it? (If you plan on restoring from a client)

    ...let us know how it works out

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed possible. I already did with dd tough to migrate backupsets from LTO-2 to LTO-3.

    Then, you just need to use define backupset command, and that's all folks.

    Regards, Olivier

    ReplyDelete